Friday 8 March 2013

General Rules to improve your chess game


Today I am going to discuss some general rules briefly which ultimately useful in improvising your chess games. I have defined those rules by my experience, reading some expert’s books and discussing with my chess friends.

I am giving those rules to my students in three different categories.

I) Rules for Tactics:
  • Always look for undefended piece of your opponent but don’t leave yours
  • Consider all immediate checks and Intermediate checks (Source of most latent defence or attack)
  • Try to count all relevant captures.

If you follow above rules, your tactical awareness will improve dramatically.

II) Rules to reduce blunders:
  • Most important but missed by almost chess amateurs at different levels that is observing opponent’s last move
  • Before move ask your self that are you giving some material free to your opponent? This type of mistake often seen at kid’s level or below 1500 players.

I am not claiming that by following above rules you will stop to make blunders but definitely you can drastically reduce those mistakes.

III) Rules in Endgame:
  • Look for plans not for move for example first visualise position you would like to get then make a plan. I am sure you will definitely find good moves.
  • Elimination: This method works very fine in endgame where you eliminate bad candidate moves one by one and remaining move can be played.
  • Centralisation of your king.
  • Be careful before exchange your pieces, for example you are exchanging a rook when you are a pawn down in the opposite you missed chance to exchange the rooks and game went to draw.

Here I have not given rules for opening which are easily available. Here you can add something which you got from your experience which may be useful to our amateurs’ community.








No comments:

Post a Comment